Discipleship Recommended Resources
The following is a list of resources that a believer can work through with a less mature believer to help them grow in Christ-likeness. Many of the resources can be purchased in print or audio. I use a paid prescription to audible but libraries offer free audiobooks. The main resource we should always use in discipleship is the Bible. Read the Bible with people you disciple, memorize verses, book summaries, and outlines of books of the Bible.
However, read old and new Christian classics. God has gifted the church with Spirit-filled teachers who accurately explain what the Bible means and how to apply it. This list is provided to direct you to some resources that you can use as you disciple others. The disclaimer is that this list is extremely limited. Solomon wisely shares about books, “But beyond these, my son, be warned: there is no end to the making of many books, and much study wearies the body,” Ecclesiastes 12:12.
One last tip, set up a consistent meeting time with people you disciple so everyone can keep that slot clear on their calendars. Also, meet with a small group of 2-5 people when you can. The advantage of meeting with a small group is that each person can learn from each other's answers. Also, as they meet, they will develop a relationship through which you can encourage them to hold each other accountable. Jesus met with 12. Of course, there is nothing wrong with one on one disciples. Let the Lord lead you.
Evangelistic Resources For Meeting with Unbelievers
- Two Ways to Live: The Choice We All Face, Matthias Media Tract. Also use Capitol Hill Baptist Church’s study guide https://www.capitolhillbaptist.org/resources/core-seminars/series/two-ways-to-live/
- What is the Gospel? Greg Gilbert and free study guide
- The Gospel of John using CFBC’s lighthouse notes
- The Book of Romans using CFBC’s lighthouse notes
General Resources for:
For New Believers
- 30 Days to Understanding the Bible by Max Anders
This book delivers what it promises. In 30 days spending about 20 minutes working through this book will give the reader a beginner’s comprehensive understanding of the Bible and what it teaches. I recommend it to everybody.
- A Gospel Primer for Christians, Milton Vincent
This book introduces professing believers to the wonders of living according to the Gospel of grace. It’s a helpful read for new and mature believers.
- The Walk by Stephen Smallman
Is a comprehensive yet easy-to-follow explanation of what it means to follow Christ.
- Welcome to the Family by John MacArthur
- The Fundamentals of the Faith by Grace Community Church
For Maturing Believers
- The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman
This book will explain and inspire Christians to live on mission. Christ saves us to use us to make disciples. Coleman’s classic shows the reader principles drawn from how Jesus Himself made disciples.
- How to Study the Bible by Richard Mayhue
- Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges
- Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer
For Mature Believers
- The whole Short Studies in Systematic Theology Series e.g., The Trinity by Scott Swain
- The Peace Maker by Ken Sande
- The Attributes of God by A. W. Tozier
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever
- Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudemn
Resources for Men
- Thoughts for Young Men by J. C. Ryle
- The Measure of a Man by Gene Getz
- Disciplines of a Godly Man by Kent Hughes
- Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders
- Secret Sex Wars: A Battle Cry for Purity by pastors Anthony Kidd, Bobby Scott, HB Charles, Brian Kennedy, Carl Hargrove, ,and Paul Felix.
Resources for Women
- Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes
- A Woman After God’s Own Heart by Woman Elizabeth George
- Calm my Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow
- Lies Women Believe by Nancey DeMoss
- Twelve Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur
Resources for Singles
- 7 Myths about Singleness by Sam Allberry. Here’s a helpful TGC Blog about the book.
- Singleness Living Faithfully 31 Day Devotion by Jenilyn Swett
- Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliott
- Not Married Yet by Marshall Segal
- Redeeming Singleness by Barry Danylak
Resources for Married Couples
- The Exemplary Husband by Stuart Scott or The Complete Husband by Lou Priolo
- The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
- Marriage by Paul Tripp
- Intimacy Ignited by Joseph Dillow
- This Momentary Marriage by John Piper
Resources for Parenting
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Ted Tripp—This is a helpful resource for parents of babies and young children.
- Parenting by Paul Tripp—This is a helpful resource for parents of teenagers.
- You Never Stop Being a Parent by Jim Newheiser & Elyse Fitzpatrick—This is a helpful resource for parents with young adult or adult children.
- Glorifying God through Parenting by Pastor Bobby on CFBC’s webpage under resources and pastor’s notes.
More Specific Resources:
If you have a topic that is not on this list, check with Pastor Bobby or the counseling ministry and we will recommend a resource for your topic.